Monday, April 22, 2013

Doha at Night

While Sarah was here we went one evening to check a few more things off the list of things I want to do while we are here.  We parked along the Corniche waterfront just before sunset.





I have always wanted to sit outside and eat at the Lebanese restaurant the juts out into the water on the Corniche.



Sarah and I watched the sunset and all the lights come on in the skyscrapers of West Bay.



We ordered traditional Lebanese food which was very good, including halloumi cheese, tabouleh, mixed grill, and arabic bread.
Halloumi cheese


Tabouleh

Even though we didn't order dessert, the waiter brought us this after dinner.  We weren't sure what is was, but it had the consistency of rice pudding (which I don't enjoy).  The green drink tasted like minty mouthwash.  Sarah and I giggled about whether we were supposed to drink it or just rinse our mouths out with it (ha! ha!)  None of the other diners around us seemed to know what to do with it either as it was untouched by all of them.




I have always wanted to take a dhow boat ride at night.  We saw them all lit up on our first night in Doha driving from the airport to our hotel.  They look beautiful gliding across the water in front of the spectacular lit up tall buildings.





Sarah and I hopped on one and enjoyed the sights of West Bay.














This hotel is the Sheraton.  This was the only building in West Bay 10 years ago.  Things have changed quickly here!



Next I took Sarah to see the State Mosque all lit up at night.  Is is absolutely beautiful and the pictures don't come close to doing it justice.  I had a really hard time getting even a decent picture of it because the best viewing point is while driving in the middle of a roundabout.  If you have read my driving in Doha post, you know that trying to snap a picture while navigating one of these roundabouts is tricky and not super safe to do.





Another thing that I have seen many times at night here in Doha is various villas draped in white lights. I have never been able to get a photo of one because I am usually driving and can't get out my camera/phone in time.  This one happened to be right around the corner from our compound so I was able to pull over and get a picture of it.

The tradition of draping the home is lights is to indicate the location of the bride's home during the week that she is getting married (or having the wedding celebration).  The wedding itself is a private affair of just the bride, groom and parents and is done by signing the marriage contract.  Afterwards, the wedding celebration is planned and the home is all lit up in the week of the event.  This is so well wishers can easily find the home to say congratulations and bring gifts.  Gifts aren't brought to the celebration itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment