Thursday, September 27, 2012

Hooray! The Truck is Here!!!!

We are thrilled to announce that Bobby's truck has finally cleared customs the day before yesterday!  We have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of all the stuff we packed in it back in July.  The kids were so excited to finally have their bikes!  Avery was riding hers in circles around the house immediately!  Chase likes having the freedom to go all the way to the playground in the compound and being able to keep up with the other boys he plays with who ride their bikes everywhere.

The truck arrived in the evening and Natalie almost cried when she was all tucked in bed and I brought up her "big dog".  This is a huge stuffed dog that she sleeps with every night.  She was so happy to finally have it again.  Chase was equally excited to have his big snake and "diabetes dog - buddy".  Avery spent several hours tucking all her stuffed animals, squinkies, and ponies into bed and slept in her dress up clothes.  They are all so happy to finally have some things from home.  Yesterday I was able to put Natalie and Chase's quilts from home on their beds (they fit even though the sheets don't).  Avery has a queen bed so she got to get a new butterfly duvet cover that she loves.  After school yesterday Chase brought over his friend George and they spent the afternoon building ships/weapons with the legos.  It felt so much more like home with these things here.  Natalie is still addicted to reading so she spends lots of time on the Kindle but is very happy to do so.  She is excited to start some after school clubs in October.  We still don't have our new furniture (looks like it will be another week) so I am not going to unpack all the clothes we took out of the truck yet.

Bobby and I went to open house for the lower school (Natalie and Chase) last night.  It was a parent only event and since we don't have a babysitter here, Bobby's partner Lars and his wife Lynn graciously took the kids out to dinner and put them to bed.  We are so thankful we were both able to go because Natalie and Chase's teachers were doing their presentations at the same time.  I am a little concerned about both of them.  Natalie's teacher is meeting with me today because she says Natalie is way ahead in reading and writing compared to the rest of the class.  We are going to connect her with Mrs. Clarizio to see if there is some extra work that she can be doing that will keep her on track with the Florida curriculum.  I was really shocked to hear from a couple of other parents in Chase's class that their kids are 6.  They both turn 7 in a few weeks but I started thinking maybe I have Chase in the wrong grade.  In different countries they use different systems for calling the grade levels.  For example in UK they don't have kindergarten (that is called year 1).  So on that system, Chase would be in year 3.  Anyway, after not sleeping all night about possible having him in the wrong grade, I met with the principal this morning and they assured me that he is in the right spot and the couple of kids who are 6 are an exception to the rule because they are either from Arab schools that use different ages or are very academically advanced for their age.  Anyway, I feel relieved to know he is in the right spot.

I was excited to finally get the phone numbers of some of the boy's parents in Chase's class.  He would really like to have a couple of them over to play.  I have signed up to be room mom in Chase's and possibly Natalie's classes.  I told myself I was taking the year off of this, but when no one else signs up, what is a mom to do?  It doesn't sound like a huge commitment so I hope they are right.  Bobby was in Natalie's class so didn't get the numbers of any of the girl's parents.  I hope since I am the room parent, I will soon be receiving parent contact info anyway for her.  Avery has become best friends with a girl in her class named Nora.  I found out yesterday that Nora is the granddaughter of the Emir (kind of like the king) of Qatar.  She has a security detail that drops her off and picks her up.  I hope to be in touch with her governess to set up a playdate.  The teacher says they are best buddies and are always holding hands in class etc.  Avery apparently has friends in high places.  It would be like Avery being best friends with Obama's granddaughter.  Pretty cool!

We miss home!


2 comments:

  1. I know that Natalie loves to read, just keep feeding her books. Great about the truck finally arriving and some additional ties to Florida!! Could be some interesting experiences with Avery's new friend!
    Dad/Papa

    ReplyDelete