Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Publix, Where Are You??

Sorry for the delay in updates.  We didn't get wi-fi in the house until yesterday and it is much easier to update from the computer than my phone.

We are getting settled in pretty well.  Bobby's truck is still stuck in customs here in Doha somewhere so we don't have access to our stuff quite yet.  Of course they tell us everyday that it should be ready tomorrow.  Our appliances still have not been replaced.  The compound management company had to go through the steps to make sure the appliances couldn't be repaired first, and now we are waiting on new ones to come in and be installed.  All of you who know me or who have 3 kids and an exercising fiend husband can imagine the crazy quantity of laundry that is piling up.  I am thinking of Tracy as I consider dropping it off to be done by a laundry service.  Our furniture should be here in another 1-2 weeks.  For now, we are getting along fine with the furniture we have.  We love having a table in the center of the kitchen.

The grocery situation here is a little nuts.  I think I have already posted about the fact that many of the grocery stores are in the malls which means fighting for parking just to get a few items.  I have found a store very close to the kid's school that is not in a big mall so have been there a few times.  Unfortunately, they don't have several items that we really want.  There is another store here that is only about 15 min. from our house (in non traffic times) that imports in all kinds of American foods.  I went there today and was able to find Quaker Chewy Granola Bars, my favorite chocolate chip cookies, and seedless grapes!!  The price for groceries here is ridiculous.  For example, I bought today what would be a week's worth of groceries at home.  At Publix it would have cost me around $200.  My bill here was 1370 Qatar Ryals which equals $375!  Almost double the cost!  It is shocking really how expensive everything here is.  I am also surprised that even stores like Gymboree, Gap, Justice, etc won't take any coupons from the USA and don't have coupon programs here at all.  Makes clothes shopping crazy expensive, too since I never buy kids clothes without a coupon.  Guess I will be stocking up when we come home for Christmas.  How I wish for Old Navy!  Thanks to Carol for ordering us some cheap Old Navy Jeans that she is bringing with her in October!

Two days ago I went to a "coffee morning" for the American Women's Association of Qatar.  AWA for short.  I was so excited to finally meet some Americans here.  This is an organization that has chapters all over the world.  I decided to join so that I could sign up for small group things (tennis, walking groups, book clubs, cooking classes, you name it and there was a sign up for it).  While there, I met two women who have children at the school where Natalie, Chase, and Avery go.  I was able to get some tips on the commute route.

 I am able to get them to school in 12 minutes in the morning but it takes 45 min. to get back home because of traffic....  Then I pick up Avery at 12:30 and have the same 12 min. drive approximately both directions.  I have the same 45 min. traffic drive again back to school for the 2:30 pickup because all the other schools are getting out at the same time so traffic is a nightmare again.  I signed up to hopefully find someone who lives in our compound who goes to the same school to reduce my time spent in the car every day.

We have met two great families in our compound.  Both are from the England (or they say the UK).  Wendy and Tony have 3 daughters ages 11, 8, and 4.  Natalie is enjoying spending time with Annie (the 11 year old) and Avery likes to play with Lily.  Wendy is unbelievably nice, helpful, thoughtful and even let me drop off 2 loads of laundry that she did for me at her house since mine is all piled up.  Ester and Ken have a daughter who is 8 and a son who is 6 (George).  Chase has been playing with George every day after school and seems to really like him (even though he is 2 years younger).  Another boy in the compound named Jon (pronounced yon) who just turned 8 is also playing with them daily.

I am invited on a girls night out by Wendy and Ester with some of their other friends this Thursday night.  I am a little nervous, but mostly excited.  We are then going with their families 4 wheeling through the sand dunes to the Inland Sea (I think that is what it is called) on Friday to barbeque and swim in the water.  Can't wait to see it and then post pictures for you guys!  That is all for now!  I promise to post some pics of the house this afternoon.  Gotta go pick up Avery from school.



No comments:

Post a Comment